Re: [tor-relays] [Looking for feedback] An easier way to declare families

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 12:55 PM Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/14/21 17:06, Nick Mathewson wrote:

> A relay operator has asked me, offline, if it is possible under this
> proposal for a relay to belong to more than one family.  (For example,
> if there were two relay operators who each operated some relays on their
> own, but also operated some relays jointly, it might make sense to put
> the jointly operated relays into _both_ of the operators' families .)

Why not just consider the shared set as an own family?

The theory is that, if either operator's infrastructure were compromised or hostile, they would be a danger both to their own relays and to the shared relays.  Thus, you wouldn't want to use a shared relay in the same circuit with _either_ operator's non-shared relays, but it would be okay to use either one of operator's relays in the same circuit with one of the other operator's relays.

And that maps to a situation where each operator has their own relay family, and the shared relays would belong to both families.

cheers,
--
Nick