Re: [tor-relays] New Relay Operator: Hostname

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:16:38 -0800
colin@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I would like the hostname to be public, I wonder if I have misconfigured
> as the hostname does not display here:
>
> https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=b0a8f23372309d3589e70bd3c2e48c5b6fc3ec36
>
> I have the following in my configuration:
>
>     ORPort 198.100.159.72:9000
>     DirPort 198.100.159.72:9001
>     Address tor-exit-01.awakening.io
>
> Any thoughts?

The hostname is taken from reverse DNS (aka PTR record) of the IP address, but
in your case:

$ host 198.100.159.72
Host 72.159.100.198.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

The owner of that IP address has to set the reverse DNS record, or in your
case, it's likely you can set that yourself via a function in your hoster's
(OVH) control panel.

In any case, you don't need the "Address" line with hostname in torrc.

--
With respect,
Roman