Re: [tor-relays] Is my relay broken? No stable, hsdir or guard flags

Am 30.01.2021 05:59 schrieb Scott Bennett:
Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is a fallback relay - is it still useful as such?

It is still useful yes.

Well, at least there is that, thank goodness. And at least I finally have a plausible explanation for the authorities' seemingly bizarre behavior over the past many moons in which they appear to be awarding, then withholding, then awarding, then withholding various flags, including HSDir, Stable, and even Fast, at random when my relay has been up and unfiddled with the whole time from what I have been able to see, and without any apparent rhyme or reason. I
had given up trying to figure out what the authorities were doing,
much less why,
and therefore had stopped giving a dam about it.
That situation, in combination with the involvement in the tor project of very vocal persons lacking apparent comprehension of the basic relationships between hardware, firmware, supervisory (i.e., privileged) software, and application software w.r.t. security matters, led me to stop providing a relay for about a year. I finally decided to return it to service, but have mostly stopped reading the overly chatty tor-relays list and any worry over additional security issues w.r.t. tor. I take care of my relay the best I know how with one exception on the authority of Roger Dingledine and leave it at that. Because I don't like accepting such things on authority, rather than proof or at least damned good evidence and reason, I mostly stopped caring, which is a real drag because I once was convinced that tor was a truly good effort to provide
what should have been designed into the Internet in the first place.
Unfortunately, there appear to be still no viable alternatives available.

It's been another week and the flags are all back. I'm not aware of anything I did to loose them for a month and I din't do anything to get them back. For me that
just just means I'll take your advice and start caring less ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Thanks for your help everyone and I hope the underlying problem get fixed soon.