Re: [tor-relays] community team highlights: Relay Advocacy

> On 13. Jan 2019, at 22:54, grarpamp <grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> communicating with OVH regarding relays without contactinfo
>
>> Is it *really* a good idea to poke OVH over this?
>> in their ToS
>> I feel this can backfire in a bad way
>> is easier to ban all this "Tor" entirely?
>
> Though there can be some context, in general
> harassing and busywork for ISP is indeed not good.
> Especially when Tor has recourse and discipline
> of simply dropping the nodes from consensus
> with log referral. That's the better way, nodes will
> get clue eventually.
>
> Another bettwer way is creating anti-Sybil web of trusts
> and node selection meta metrics that operators and
> users can contribute to and choose among. Which
> is still an open project ripe and waiting since *years*
> to be done by whoever wants to explore it.

I really need an ELI5 why this is a good idea.

OVH is a European company, we have privacy laws here. When asking if you can get the personal information for this servers you only will get a more or less friendly FuckYou.
And they have a CW fraction of 15%, if we nag them enough they may change their TOS and start kicking all relays. This will be an even bigger nightmare than DigitalOcean.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Markus