Re: [tor-relays] Worse throughput with 0.4.8.x, on a slow CPU

Dear Jeff Blum,

Yes, I am seeing something similar on 0.4.8.9 (and potentially earlier versions as well, not 100% sure when it started). I upgraded to 0.4.8.10 today hoping it would go away, but I'm seeing it again. Watching in nyx (screenshot of bandwidth graph attached), reliably every ~30 seconds.

This is just Tor doing zlib-compression on some documents, you can somewhat combat it by assigning more cores to your machine.

Tor is mostly singlethreaded, but OnionSkin decryption, zlib compression and some other operations utilize all cores detected.

Regards,
George