Re: [tor-relays] Relay in Japan being marked as a US relay?

The reality is that there's multiple IP databases, and each operates differently.

198.0.0.0/8 is an ARIN IP allocation, and even though the server's in Japan, the IP addresses are allocated to a US company, in this case Choopa/Vultr.

This is why some databases show the IP in the USA: they might look at the first allocation after the RIR, which says "USA".

When I ran Tor exit relays on leased IP space, some abuse reports went directly to me, but some went to the IP lessors, not realizing IP leasing and reallocations are now commonplace.

-Neel