Re: [tor-relays] Sitevalley is no longer Tor-friendly

That stinks.

Linode has the same policy WRT exit relays.Â

If they get too many abuse complaints, they ask you to stop running a relay. ÂThe way US law is structured, I can't actually blame them for this.

However they don't care if you're running a middle node. Your bandwidth/VPS, your call. Â A *lot* of people run bridge nodes there, myself included.

-Chris
(Running an exit relay in the US cost effectively seems quite difficult)

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM, mick <mbm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:49:46 -0400
Tom Ritter <tom@xxxxxxxxx> allegedly wrote:

> Sending this out, as I suspect I am not the only person running a node
> on SiteValley, as they have pretty good bandwidth for pretty cheap.
>
> I had inquired in the beginning if they allowed Tor, and they said
> yes, but if we get too many abuse complaints we'll shut it down. ÂSo
> maybe 4 or 5 abuse complaints later they did indeed give me the
> ultimatum to shut it down or get shut down. ÂSo I made them give me a
> new IP address, and made it into a middle node. Â(The new IP was
> because I was thinking of making it a bridge.)

Hmm. Pretty crummy AUP. And /very/ crummy treatment of a customer.

I wonder if we are going to see more of this sort of thing now. I
think the tor network needs greater geographic diversity.

Mick

ÂMick Morgan
Âgpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B Â72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
Âhttp://baldric.net

Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@xxxxxxxxx | AIM: chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
"Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar