Re: [tor-relays] Relays or exits: which is needed?

On 7/6/14, michaelball@xxxxxxxxxx <michaelball@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm (hopefully) going to be running a few high-speed Tor servers sometime
> in the near future. Which type of Tor server (exits vs. relays) is needed
> the most right now?

I thought there used to be a FAQ on this, suggesting exit relays.

I do believe exit relays are the most in demand, and most needed to
make Tor enjoyable to use for the broadest number of people.

If there is an excess of exits (won't happen any time soon), they can
just be used as normal relays anyway, so it is ultimately better for
the network to have more exits, at least at this point in time,
AFAIUI.

Right now all I can find doco wise is:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian
"9. If you run an exit relay (great!), don't miss out on our Exit
Guidelines, including setting your reverse DNS hostname to make it
obvious that you're a Tor exit relay, and serving the Tor exit notice
page on your DirPort."

Please do read in detail:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorExitGuidelines

as well as everything else of any relevance to you at torproject.org

Welcome, and awesome to see solid support for the free speech
networks, in this case tor :)