Re: [tor-relays] German company Webtropia: Terminated contract without notice because of abuse

IMO, even relaying SMTP-like for the email which typically requires auth first isn't a great idea if there is any concern about an upstream getting abuse complaints about a relay (such as a leased box).

A frequent way that spammers get their garbage out these days is to compromise a user account, I say this as a mail server admin who has to deal with the mess regularly. Oftentimes they guess the PW via dictionary attacks, but sometimes they keylog the user's box to get the email login.

If the spammer has compromised an account and is forced to use webmail to dump the spam instead of an SMTP-like means, your relay doesn't show up in the email headers in the same way and may even be obfuscated. The differences are good things if you want to minimize abuse complaints of this sort. Also the SMTP-like sending seems to get more spam out the door faster than something which must use webmail instead.