Re: [tor-relays] Bandwidth limits for Fallback Directory Mirror

On 9 Jun 2018, at 22:12, Cristian Consonni <cristian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

due to the new DigitalOcean billing terms for bandwidth (see this other
thread [1]), I have limited my relay bandwidth to be sure I will stay
withing the limits:
```
RelayBandwidthRate 360 KB  # Throttle traffic to 100KB/s (800Kbps)
RelayBandwidthBurst 720 KB # But allow bursts up to 200KB/s (1600Kbps)
```

This is the relay:
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/1211AC1BBB8A1AF7CBA86BCE8689AA3146B86423

The relay is also a Fallback Directory Mirror. I plan on keeping the
relay running, but I was wondering if the new limits disqualify it or if
they are a problem to let it be a fallback directory mirror.

The minimum bandwidth for a fallback directory mirror is currently 500 kBps:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/scripts/maint/updateFallbackDirs.py#n241
And if we have extra fallbacks, we choose the fastest ones.
We choose fast relays so clients can bootstrap quickly.

Next time we rebuild the list, your relay will probably not be chosen as a fallback.

But it's still helping the tor network.

Thanks for running a relay!