Re: [tor-relays] default exit notice HTML page on exits?

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 6:00 PM nusenu <nusenu-lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Eran Sandler:
>    1. It requires configuration and doesn't come preconfigured.

also: if you think DirPort on exits should ship a HTML file by default,
we can bring this up with tor developers in a trac ticket.

I certainly think it should be added by default.

In that case tor should warn (logfiles) if DirPort is not enabled or not on port 80

The biggest problem would probably be: what html would you ship globally by _default_?
or should we use the (already available) geoip info to detect in which country the exit
is in and display a localized* version accordingly?

*) localized: not only language-wise but also legal-wise

We can ask the community (or get some friends over at EFF) to help draft something that is legally correct and language relevant (though I don't think that it has to be in the local language for it to be legally binding).

Regarding what to display and how, that can be a combination of a few things:
  1. Defined country in the config (can be part of the proposed contactinfo spec you mentioned) - so that if there is a way to set it in case geoip DB is not up-to-date with all the various IP addresses migrations that happen
  2. GeoIP based on a local DB. That might be great but it would a) increase download size and b) would have to be updated a bit more frequently. It doesn't make too much send to ship a geoip DB just to verify an address once.

    Another solution would be some kind of a Tor managed or secure server to perform resolution when the relay starts (should have a flag to disable it in the config). That way no logs are saved and we can figured things out in a more accessible manner. Installation would be smaller and that service will always have an up-to-date geoip DB.
Eran