Re: [tor-relays] Wrong country and AS number/ name

Hi,

On Jun 19, 2019, at 11:34 AM, teor <teor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

On 19 Jun 2019, at 06:36, ILikeTor <iliketor@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I have set up a relay about 3 days ago now. I am hosting my relay at a
German hosting provider called "contabo", but the relay search of
Tor Metrics tells me that the relay is based in the United States and
that the AS number and name are unknown. Does someone know what I could
do to fix this?

Link:
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/53E89AD9B9320749F04DCA757F1C4DACE66205B9

GeoIP databases are never 100% accurate, particularly for servers.

Onionoo uses MaxMind's database.
I tried putting your IPv4 and IPv6 into their demo, and it said contabo in Germany.
https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

Maybe the GeoIP for these addresses was changed recently?
Maybe Onionoo takes a while to update the GeoIP for new addresses?

Thats exactly it. As you can see at https://www-static.ripe.net/dynamic/table-of-transfers/inter-rir/incoming-ipv4.json  the adresses where transferred from arin to ripe some time ago (last november):
{"transferred_blocks":"167.86.96.0/19","date":"20/11/2018","transferType":"POLICY","from_rir":"ARIN","to_organisation":"Contabo GmbH"},

I do not know onionoo, but but my local whois from a debian machine also stil probes the arin database and times out.
You could contact contabo for that, maybe they are interested in correcting this?