Re: [tor-relays] «Possible compression bomb» from Authority?

Hi,

I get these warnings from time to time too. I believe they are rather
benign, though I wonder how a document with a 25:1 compression ratio
can happen in practice.

> Interestingly it's the dirport that
> ie requested. I thought the dirport is no longer in use - do the
> authorities still offer it?

Authorities still provide a dirport, and relays are supposed to use it
over a tunneled directory request. I believe some authority operators
put varnish (or some other caching reverse-proxy) in front of their
dirport, to limit the load of serving those files. At the very least,
it reduces the amount of crypto required (none vs an OR connection),
for data which is already public and signed anyway.