Re: [tor-relays] [Important] A call for more long running bridges, especially with OBFS IAT-Mode set to 1 or 2.

Hi,

even if the paper was from 2018, traffic confirmation attacks are still a problem on a real-time anonymity network.

Albert Einstein said that E equals mc², and that was in 1905.. does not make it any less true today!

The paper specifically recommends iat-mode = 1, or even better, 2, for protection.

I'd rather take the bandwidth penalty but have at least some protection against traffic correlation attacks.

That being said, I already use Whonix which comes with the Vanguard add-on pre-configured and enabled.

The author of obfs4 implemented this feature for a reason - if he thought it would be useless as a defense, he would not have wasted his time and written the code in the first place.

So yeah, a few bridges with iat-mode = 1 or 2 would be nice, for those who are extra paranoid, which you can kind of call me.

Cheers,
George