Re: [tor-relays] [tor] Re: Hosting relays in the Netherlands

On 03/11/2012 07:11 PM, grarpamp wrote:
I'll add that AS path info is available from route views looking
glasses. Think of it like traceroute, but for BGP. It's quite handy.

A node map showing current GEO, AS, and provider would be a cool
idea. Lots of cities have datacenters and moms/pops of some sort. People
could then find a gap near them, then poke around the phonebook,
webhostingtalk, datacentertalk, [NA]NOG's, etc to find a diverse fill.

Until such a cool tool is available, I will suggest a quick fix: select nearly any location in Asia or Africa.

The U.S. and Europe are vastly over-represented in geography/population vs. bandwidth due to the relative cheapness of international network traffic in those locations.

Another scheme is to diversify by political sphere. Should any given country become draconian in its censorship of the Internet, what percentage of Tor bandwidth will fall within the purview of that country? I'm thinking more about the nationality of the datacenter owners than I am about the location of the datacenters themselves.