Re: [tor-relays] "wubthecaptain1" relay a year later, or why running a Tor exit at home is discouraged

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Juuso Lapinlampi <wub@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In that time, I received an uncounted amount of abuse reports from my
Internet service provider, tens or hundreds of malware infection
incidents daily according to ISP's autoreporter logs, and one concern
from NCSC-FI/CERT-FI (FICORA) regarding a suspicion of "botnet drone".

NCSC-FI just doing their job to create this autoreporter log. Each ISP in Finland receives this log every day. If you operate an exit node there will be these malware incidents.

I was also interrogated by Finnish police for alleged identity crimes,
fraud and attempts of fraud (and needlessly had my personal rights
violated, to my belief). [4] They have since frozen the investigation
and don't suspect me to be responsible for the allegations. [5] I can't
say for certain these investigations to have had anything to do with
wubthecaptain1 exit specifically, but that's my best guess.

Running an exit node is legal in Finland.

Now, there's something new I'd like to share with this mailing list.

Starting from December 2016, – long after the exit was turned into a
middle relay – I've now been targeted by four different law firms
representing copyright holders, demanding reimbursements for alleged
copyright infringements from residential IP-addresses assigned to
wubthecaptain1 Tor exit and threats to sue to market court. The parties
involved and their reimbursement demands are:

  - Hedman Partners (on behalf of Crystalis Entertainment UG / Scanbox
    Entertainment A/S), Black Sails (S3E4) (150 EUR) / Taken 3 (900 EUR)
  - Tekijänoikeusturva TOT (on behalf of Interallip LLP), "Z-Nation"
    (900 EUR)
  - Adultia (on behalf of Copyright Management Services Ltd /
    Echo Alpha Inc), various adult pornography works (16600 EUR)
  - NJORD Law (on behalf of Nu Image, Inc), Survivor (550 EUR), Olympus
    Has Fallen (550 EUR), Automata (550 EUR)

You don't have to pay these. These are just empty demands from private organizations.

Nonetheless I believe the law is on my side with non-liability, so I'm
not concerned for my personal legal defence. If anyone is concerned,
I've not agreed to any of the imbursements so far and I've not spent any
money on a lawyer or legal advice. (Though, thanks to torservers.net for
the offer earlier!)

Yes, the law of Finland protects your rights.

I've not counted how much bandwidth was actually served and contributed
to the Tor network, but it was among lines of 90 Mbps for that time and
that counts for a lot in months. Since turning it to a middle relay, the
actual relayed bandwidth has dropped dramatically. We need more exit
relays, especially in Finland too.

Finland would be an excellent place for fast dedicated exit nodes.

Regards,
Juha