Re: [tor-relays] Odd network activity

Eldalië via tor-relays:
Hello there.

I see on every exit node I check on the metrics page, a massive bump
in bandwidth used without a change in exit probability.

I just checked the metrics page for the relay I operate
(791E637A38C715336290E8AC0EB6C99BD02A5F0E) and I noticed a bump similar
to the one from FDAA4F76F778215F02B0B02DCE8E8504179BCDC6. However, my
relay is not and has never been an exit relay. Also, it looks like the
data changed retroactively: I usually check the metrics about once a
day and I'm sure I would have noticed the peak of 26/02 the day after -
I mean, it is a more than x3 increment from the day before (that also
had the highest value ever until then).
Should I worry about that? And should I report my own relay to
the bad-relays mailing list?

No, it's fine. I am not sure yet what the problem is but I suspect it's a bug in one of our recent code changes. See:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/metrics/onionoo/-/issues/40022#note_2783524

for more details. We've reverted that change for now and things should normalize again assuming the traffic increase you see is indeed related to it.

Georg

Thanks for the help.

Eldalië

On Thu, 03 Mar 2022 19:01:37 +0000