Re: [tor-relays] current HSDir flag requirements

On 2021-05-26 08:18:32, "Scott Bennett" <bennett@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I interpret that as meaning that one
or more criteria being used by one or more authorities has changed,
What I have noticed on my relay is that the "Consensus Weight" is fluctuating. CW is too complicated for my tiny brain but I believe the measurements from the Bandwidth Authorities is involved. The BWAuths are spread around the world and depending on current internet conditions they get different speed values to your relay. But can it cause massive swings in CW? Maybe the BWAuths have changed their measurement technique during the last couple of months?

 A further question I would like to raise is why do the Authority relays
use different criteria from one to another for the automatic assignment of
flags?  Should they not be consistent in using the same rules?

I agree that it is confusing that 2 auths don't assign the HSDir flag according to the spec. I have no explanation apart from that AFAIK moria1 is run by Roger Dingledine and I guess he runs a lot of beta and test stuff. moria1 publishes 2 HSDir "Flag Threshold" values (hsdir-wfu and hsdir-tk) that no other auth publishes which leads me to believe moria1 runs another version of the auth software that handles the HSDir flag differently. That don't explain bastet though.

It's fun to speculate :)