Re: Tor load averages, openssl performance and misc related questions -amd64-freebsd

Mike L schrieb:

> I read one of the operators (blutmagie?) compiled openssl with icc and
> they saw some performance gain but it seems icc will not install on the
> amd64 platform.

yes, I didn't succeed in compiling openssl lib using icc on Debian
x86_64. The icc install left a lot of unresolved dependencies to other
packages for 32 bit libs. Finally after one or two hours I gave up.

Cause Tor doesn't scale very well with the number of cpus I equipped my
box with an c2d E8600 desktop cpu @3.33GHz. 120 MBit/s throughput leads
to about 80% cpu load of one core and a few percent of the other one and
about 300 new tcp sessions per second.

Thus I suppose an up-to-date Intel/AMD cpu being ok for an exit node as
long as you don't go for GigE.

> I was curious to try that though. If there is some
> compiling options on the amd64 platform I can try I would be willing.

drop me a note if you get it managed to compile tor and openssl with icc
on amd64.

Olaf - Blutmagie op