Re: [tor-relays] Amazon abuse report

On Thursday 31 October 2013 19:14:47 Andy Isaacson wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 09:52:41PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> > On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 06:12:47PM -0700, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> > > That's correct, it takes a deliberate action on the part of the

> > > administrator to become a relay; and another deliberate action to become

> > > an exit relay.

> > Actually, that second part isn't true. Once you decide to become a relay,

> > the default is to exit to most popular ports.

> Whoops, thanks for the correction Roger. I guess I've been configuring

> exit relays for so long that I forget what it's like to configure a

> non-exit. :)

Same for me. I also thought that setting up a relay would still make it a non-exit by default, as it was in the old days.

I am wondering if the advantage of what Roger stated outweighs the disadvantages for tor operators who do not fully overlook what it means to run an exit node.

I would make non-exit the default.

Regards,

Torland