Re: [tor-relays] Amazon abuse report

My main concern, and the reason I asked about blocking specific traffic
(ip's from blacklisted p2p sites), is mainly due to the problem the
original poster faces with DMCA; abuse complaints and the possibility of
being shutdown. No one wants to volunteer a service and then face legal
issues. Who in the hell wants or needs the headache?

That being said I can see that the original poster's issue has raised
much needed debate, and a few ideas that I was not personally aware of
that I believe can help everyone contribute to the Tor network in a more
effective and safe manner.

In my opinion if a well intentioned Tor "contributor" has no other
choice but to shutdown his exit node due to legal threats and
restrictions primarily based on P2P abuse, then this will be just
another reason why Tor is frowned upon and people just don't want to
deal with legal issues. A lot more can be done to emphasize to "do the
right thing" and then somehow "shape public opinion" on the issues of
the necessity of Privacy/Anonymity in light of the NSA's (and friends')
abusive and unconstitutional activities and how the Tor network as
another tool can effectively help keep people secure while online.

I do believe there is a benefit to Torrents as many of us can attest to,
ex: fast downloads of different Linux distros; but if your use of
Torrents is in fact legit then why use Tor for downloading your legal
content in the first place? This doesn't pass the smell test. As I
understand it downloading from a P2P site on Tor is not a smart thing to
do in the first place, if you're downloading illegal content, so why do
it? Doesn't make sense. People can't claim ignorance that they didn't
know that Tor does not protect their identity online when using P2P sites.

But the ones who get clobbered day-in and day-out because of the
ignorant few are the Tor operators who contribute ($$$) substantially
for everyone's right to freedom and privacy online. I think this act
alone should be respected.

+1 for restricting bandwidth