Re: [tor-relays] exit and skype

On 11/9/2013 10:15 AM, Jon Gardner wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Jan Hendrik den Besten <tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Boy, now I am in trouble...
>>
>> I run an exit node from my home address for a few weeks now, but my gf
>> starts complaining she cannot use Skype anymore to chat with her mum.
>>
>> I understand Microsoft blocks all tor exits from accessing Skype. Is there
>> anything I can do except converting the exit into a relay?
>
> As others mentioned, Jitsi is a great alternative, but to your question: If you want a happy gf, you'll need Skype, and the only sure fix is to convert to a non-exit. The Skype problems will magically disappear after a few days. Using a VPN *might* work, but Microsoft blocks access from many of those too.
>
> Complaining to Microsoft, especially if you're a paying Skype customer, might not help, but it can't hurt.
>
> Jon

Converting to a non-exit relay doesn't always help.  My non-exit IP
address is blocked by several internet commerce websites, probably
because it is still on the official Tor list.  Some webmasters do not
make any distinction between exit node versus non-exit node.  All Tor
relays are a threat to their website, as far as they are concerned.
They are willing to lose the revenue from such unsavory customers as we
must be.

David