Re: [tor-relays] Proper bandwidth units [was: Exit nodes on Gandi]

On 13-11-18 07:28 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> A proper IEC gibibyte = GiB = 2^30 = 1024^3 = 1073741824
>  for data storage, ram (binary bit handling)
> A proper SI gigabyte = GB = 1E9 = 1000^3 = 1000000000
>  for data transmission (packet counting, rocketships)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_80000
> http://www.swedeteam.com/kibi/
>
> Thugh they may break your broken tradition, there are
> current standards now, please use them.

The tradition may be broken but it has roots, just as feet and inches
and acres came from real human practices.  Some of us "grew up with"
that stuff and it is going to be a pain to unlearn, for example, that a
KB is 1024 bytes.  Indeed this is the first i heard that anyone changed
the definitions.

Anyway, as long as Tor docs are clear what definitions are being used i
think we can all get along fine.  Suggest we add reference URLs to Tor docs.