Re: [tor-relays] Guard before Stable flag?

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 12:42:18PM +0000, John Ricketts wrote:
> When looking at my list on Atlas (21 entries) I'm seeing that some of my relays are getting the Guard flag before they become stable.
>
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/quintex
>
> I'm going to make the assumption this is normal behavior but I still find it odd.

I agree that this particular behavior is odd. In fact, we put in a
fix to prevent it from happening:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/ChangeLog?id=tor-0.2.9.4-alpha#n614

But that fix is only in 0.2.9.1-alpha, and 7 of the 8 directory
authorities are still on 0.2.8.x. So they'll get it when they upgrade
(which will be a ways after 0.2.9.x goes stable probably).

As for why the Stable flag is confusingly assigned, teor's answer is
a good one.

--Roger