Re: [tor-relays] Questions regarding arm on Debian

> On 11 Nov. 2016, at 05:27, Dennis Christ <lists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> i have installed a new relay on Debian 8 and playing around with the arm tool.

> 2. Issue: It always says this message in the arm logs even if the service is just started a moment ago. If i reload the config it says the same thing shortly after.
>
> 17:18:59 [ARM_WARN] The torrc differs from what tor's using. You can issue a sighup to reload the torrc values by pressing x.
>   - torrc values differ on lines: 118, 127

What is on lines 118 and 127?
This could be a bug in Tor, where it changes the options it would write out,
(if you asked it to write out your torrc file) rather than changing its
internal idea of those options.

Please log a ticket under Core Tor / Tor with the names of those options at:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/newticket

> 3. Issue: I dont understand this message. Nickname is edited by me so it does not match its default value. Also why is it unneeded?
>
> 17:18:59 [ARM_NOTICE] Unneeded torrc entries found. They've been highlighted in blue on the torrc page.
>   - entry matches its default value: Nickname (line 117)

What is on line 117?
This could be a bug in Tor, or it could be a bug in arm.

The default nickname is NULL, which gets changed to "Unnamed" on relays.

So if your nickname is different to "Unnamed", log a bug against
Core Tor / Nyx (the new name for arm).
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/newticket

And please also log a ticket under Core Tor / Tor saying that we are
modifying Nickname from its default value, and writing it out again,
rather than modifying our idea of it internally.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/newticket

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n