Re: [tor-relays] Pretty sure our exit was being synflooded

I spoke too soon, it seems - the exit is struggling again, with some time spent destroyed today.

As I look at what it's doing, it's clear that someone is relaying SYN packets to random ports and also random destination addresses that aren't even alive. The destination hosts and ports continually vary - it never hits multiple destinations on 1 port, and it does not hit multiple ports on 1 host. I presume it is an attack that is intended to degrade this relay's service quality, or otherwise more broadly, degrade Tor.

I'm going to reject a few more trojan listen ports, it might help but it isn't a real fix.

My thought btw was for Tor to rate-limit syn scanning activity between the client and the first onion router, with the function taking place in that first-hop router, not at the exit.