Re: [tor-relays] [Looking for feedback] An easier way to declare families

On Sun, Nov 7, 2021 at 1:36 AM Scott Bennett <bennett@xxxxxxx> wrote:

     Because the obvious incentive for cheaters is in the direction of trying
to get clients' route selectors to choose routes through more than a single
relay operated by a given cheater, rather than the other way around, this
looks to me like a "solution" in search of a problem unless I am missing
some special scenario.  Can someone enlighten me as to why this mechanism
would be needed?  I.e., when and why would a cheater want his relay(s) to be
included in *any* families at all?

Hi, Scott!

You're right that having your relay in a family means that it is less likely to be chosen, on the whole.  The reason that an attacker would include their relay in a family is in order to increase the odds that, *when* they are chosen, they can observe the path.   As an attacker, you wouldn't put all your relays in a given family: you'd put them in different families.

As a simplified example, suppose that all relays have equal bandwidth=1.  Suppose that there are N relays in the network and the attacker controls 2 of them.

If the attacker does not claim membership in any family, then the probability of them seeing the first and last hop of a random circuit is `(2/N) * (1/(N-1))`.  That is, one of their relays is selected for the first hop with probability 2/N, and their other one is selected with probability `1/(N-1)`.

Now suppose that one of their relays claims membership in a family with F honest members, and the other claims membership in a different family with G honest members.  Now the probability that they will be the first and last hop on a random circuit becomes:

In other words, whenever a client picks one of the attacker's relays as a first hop, a whole family's worth of relays will be excluded when the client is choosing the last hop, which will in turn improve the attacker's odds of getting both positions.

(Things would get even worse if the attacker could _define_ families or join multiple families.  Suppose that one of the attacker's nodes declares family membership with every relay in the network except for one other attacker-controlled node.  Then, whenever that first node was chosen, the attacker would be certain to have its other one chosen as the exit.)

Now I realize that this attack is somewhat self-limiting, since it is less helpful the larger the attacker becomes.  Still, because of this attack (and in case there are even better ones) it seems best to authenticate family membership.

cheers,
--
Nick