Re: [tor-relays] Proposal: Restrict ContactInfo to Mandatory Email Address

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:54:37 +0000
Georg Koppen <gk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> allegedly wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> As indicated in our bug tracker a while ago[1] we have some strong
> incentives to redo our ContactInfo field. I've collected all the
> different use cases and combined them in a single proposal,
> discussing some potential concerns and future work we could get built
> upon it.

[ some deletia ]

> We intend to solve that problem by deploying an email verification
> service: relays without a verified `ContactInfo` value won't be
> allowed on the network.

I assume that the verification system will allow for cases where
operators use email aliases in the contact info field (i.e. mail
addresses of the form "tor@xxxxxxxxxx" rather than the /real/ address
"operator.name@xxxxxxxxxx"). If this is not the case and replies must
come from the advertised address then this proposal could be problematic
for some.

Mick