Re: [tor-relays] obfs4 bridge current setup is not entirely clear

On Mittwoch, 8. November 2023 20:35:56 CET s7r wrote:
> boldsuck wrote:
>

> > Not recommended, but rather a request to try it out.
> >

> So I tried, and besides the log messages that I have a descriptor
> mismatch I also get the status of my bridge as not running when ORPort
> is not exposed. The minute I switched ORPort to `localhost` the BridgeDB
> reported the bridge as not running, regardless it was actually running
> with the pluggable transport port open.

That is unfortunately the case. I checked whether they are online at:
https://bridges.torproject.org/status?id=[hashed_identity_key]
On Tor metrics you can also see that the history continues.

> > Some info in the old thread
> > https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2023-August/021259.html
> >
> > Relevant tiket from meskio:
> > https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/issues/129
> >

> Thank you, yes.
> But unfortunately I think we are going to need a proposal for this, to
> document various use cases and maybe clone the code that does the ORPort
> reachability check to do pluggable transport port reachability test,
> then build descriptor and then publish, but this needs ORPort like
> behavior like NoListen, etc.

That'd be good

> > I've gradually reconfigured _all_ bridges over the last 2 months:
> > The number of connections/users has stayed pretty much the same.
> > Bridges with setting "BridgeDistribution any" the distribution method has
> > not changed.
> >
> > OrPort must forwarded or should not firewalled otherwise the status will
> > be dysfunctional on https://bridges.torproject.org/status
> >

> I don't care to use BridgeDistribution param, I let BridgeDB decide this
> randomly

Me too. "BridgeDistribution any" is tor default setting.

> but configured without public open ORPort I don't get the
> running flag, I get that bridge is down, while it's not actually.
>

> >> So what is the best way to for an user to open both IPv4 and IPv6
> >> pluggable transport ports?
> >

> > The ServerTransportListenAddr line is dual stack friendly.
> > ServerTransportListenAddr obfs4 [::]:8443
> >

> So I saw yes, I was able to use [::]:80 to bind to all interfaces in
> dual stack mode but I am not sure the clients are served both the IPv6
> line and the IPv4 line, I think it's just one of them and I was curious
> which one and what logic is applied to determine it.
> This means that currently one cannot setup a dual stack pluggable
> transport bridge, it must be either IPv4 either IPv6, right?

If I use my dual stack bridges with TorBrowser or HS clients, I can use IP and IPv6.

2023-11-08 21:15:20.815 [NOTICE] Bridge 'ForPrivacyNET' has both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address.  Will prefer using its IPv6 address ([2001:db8:1::228]:11228) based on the configured Bridge address.
2023-11-08 21:15:21.712 [NOTICE] Bridge 'ForPrivacyNET' has both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address.  Will prefer using its IPv4 address (203.0.113.228:11228) based on the configured Bridge address.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!