Re: [tor-relays] TBB on same system as relay?

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:17:13AM -0400, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On Thursday, October 20, 2011 21:30:59 Rick Huebner wrote:
> > way of using Tor as a client.  How can I run the TBB on my system
> > without interfering with my relay?
>
> TBB supports randomized socks port and control port configurations. I use it on
> a relay just fine.
>
> These options are disabled on Windows due to some poor assumptions with
> Windows-based antivirus/firewall software. However, linux and macosx work fine
> by default.
>
> 'SocksPort auto
> SocksListenAddress 127.0.0.1
> ControlPort auto' is all you need in your torrc

In particular, you can do this from inside your TBB by going to the
Vidalia 'advanced' settings window and clicking "Configure ControlPort
automatically", and then restarting TBB. The checkbox secretly means
"and socksport too".

This checkbox is checked already on OSX and Linux, as Andrew says. See
also the reverse question at
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#TBBSocksPort

--Roger