Re: [tor-relays] NSA's "Tor Stinks"

On 10/08/2013 10:19 PM, Raistlin Majere wrote:
> Noob question here, I have some servers on the net one of which is not
> too busy. How much bandwidth on average does a Tor gateway eat up in a
> month? And will that Tor gateway still remain anonymous even if I run
> other 'Public' services on the same server?

I don't know what exactly you mean by "gateway". If you are talking
about a Tor node that forwards traffic for other Tor users, these are
called "Tor relays".

A Tor relay takes whatever bandwidth you are willing to provide. You can
use the "Bandwidthrate" configuration option (note that it limits
throughput per direction). A relay is not anonymous by itself, it will
be listed in the public documents -- all Tor clients need to know all
Tor relays, both address/port and public key, so they can build paths
through these relays. So, by running other services on the same server,
you are not harming the anonymity Tor provides to users (relays cannot
be anonymous in their function as relays).

You can also choose to run a "bridge", which is an unpublished Tor relay
that can be used by clients that are manually configured to use your
address as entry into the Tor network.

I would advise to read the Torproject website first before you go ahead.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/