Re: [tor-relays] Intrusion Prevention System Software - Snort or Suricata

On 10/05/2016 12:58 PM, Green Dream wrote:
> @Mirimir:
>

>>> IPS aren't perfect - they let some unwanted traffic through, and
>>> block other traffic that is totally ok.
>

>> That is an issue. But there are many exits, so eventually users should
>> find one that works well enough for their purposes.
>

> Re-read what you said and think about this from the user's
> perspective. This is a recipe for disaster when it comes to Tor user
> experience. Perhaps it seems suitable to you, as a technical person
> and a relay operator, but just think about this problem for a barely
> technical user, or someone new to Tor. What will actually happen is
> people will try Tor, hit a shitty exit with random performance
> problems from an IPS, log off and never use Tor again.

True. But increased risk of hitting bad exits is arguably better than
having fewer exits.

> Tor needs all the help it can get with regards to usability and
> reliability. It's gotten better over the years but I still get
> circuits that are borderline unusable. Adding a hodgepodge of blocking
> IPS systems into the mix isn't going to help this problem.

Yes, I do too. And I wouldn't be happy if poorly implemented IPS made
exits unpredictably unreliable. On the other hand, IPS that only blocked
automated crap would be a win for real users, relay operators and ISPs,
no? Why should "... ssh foo@w.x.y.z ... ssh bar@w.x.y.z ... ssh
baz@w.x.y.z ..." get through, if it destroys exits? Maybe someone could
forget their username. But maybe after 10-20 tries, can't we safely
assume that they're brute forcing logins?