Re: [tor-relays] Recommendation for DUMB COMPUTING devices for Tor Relays

Regardless of whether the Pi’s firmware can actually be updated or not – it’s probably not good for diversity to run the whole Tor network on a single kind of device: we don’t want every relay in the network to be compromised when a single flaw on the Pi is found. Performance might also suffer, though I hear it’s gotten better with the Pi 3.

For stateless x86 hardware, this paper is very interesting: Joanna Rutkowska, State considered harmful – A proposal for a stateless laptop. http://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/state_harmful.pdf