Re: [tor-relays] Relay

Thank you, I have installed ARM.. It it nice.  So if I gather the above correctly, rate limiting 430 KB will insure that the totals of the TX and RX should not exceed 500GB in 2 weeks?  Thank you all for your help again.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/14/2013 09:47 PM, Jonathan W wrote:
> I am about to run a relay, but I don't want it using more than 1000GB a
> month.  I prefer to manage this using the *BandwidthRate*//but I don't
> know the math//to constrain it over a 1000GB a month.

1000GB in both directions means 500GB per month. You can spread this
across the whole month, but it probably makes more sense to have a high
bandwidth relay that is only active for some, say two, weeks. I don't
have any numbers, but I would guess there are many relays that start
accounting at the 1st of every month and thus stop relaying traffic
during the month. So, I would suggest to move the account period, which
you can do using the AccountingStart directive. The following setting
sets it to use 500 GB per direction per accounting period, uses a
monthly accounting period, and starts from the 15th of every month (to
the 15th of the next month).

AccountingMax 500 GB # per direction
AccountingStart month 15 0:00

Additionally, you correctly want to use BandwidthRate to not burn 500GB
on a single day. If your goal is to hit 500GB after around 2 weeks:
500GB/14days = (500*1024*1024)KB/(14*24*60*60)seconds = 433 KB/s

BandwidthRate 430 KB

There's some mystery around BandwidthBurst, but the following should not
hurt:

BandwidthBurst 1000 KB

> I also want to relay the directory.  Is there a way to also use vidalia
> to interface?  I'll be relaying on a linux (ubuntu) server remotly, and
> I'm using a windows system to set it all up.  I'll be using SSH to shell
> in, but I'd love to use vidalia.

No, this is not possible. A wonderful Tor controller for Linux command
line is "arm", https://www.torproject.org/projects/arm.html.en

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/