Re: [tor-relays] Reimbursement of Exit Operators

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 19:29:26 -0400
tor@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In the context of September 2013, this whole thing is scary. It was
> perhaps not scary in September of 2012, when we didn't know anything.

Just a point that many in the tech community knew what was happening, at
some level, for the past decade. It's now that we have more data to
back it up. Three years ago, many in the Tor community were called
pathologically paranoid for our talking about stalking with technology
(some call this tracking, advertising, snooping, packet sniffing, etc)
on a global scale. It doesn't seem so far fetched now. In fact, some
countries have been honing these practices for a decade or so.

Torservers, Noisebridge, and others have been taking money in exchange
for running exit relays for a few years. For the vast majority of
people (which includes organizations), it's far easier to transfer
money to someone who can run an exit relay than it is to setup one
themselves. I'm sure there will be sketchy orgs trying to turn currency
into exit relays. It's a fact of growing an ecosystem.

I suspect most of the cost of running a relay isn't the relay itself,
but the people to keep it running.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact