Re: [tor-relays] tor-relays Digest, Vol 68, Issue 12

> Am 04.09.2016 um 06:52 schrieb daniel boone:
>> Ok, 1st on to MATT
>> "I missed your SOCKS question."
>> Well that doesnt matter because I took you advice on the first reply you sent explaing things so I commented all again as suggested. So all is well now on that part of the torrc file.

Disabling SOCKSPort on a relay is a good idea.
You're not really anonymous if you use your relay as a client - its IP address is public, and so is its uptime/downtime.
And there are statistical ways of matching relay and client traffic hiccups.

>> What I did do was kept the ORPort at 9001. I tried 443 but in the terminal it showed me it could not bind so it would not work.
>> As for the question on "hope this helps" you bet and well appricated. Thank you.

Likely your tor process is running as a non-root user (this is good) without the CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE capability, or your OS equivalent.

And 9001 is a fine port, there's no need to change it to 443.

>> {Sep 04 00:11:56.000 [notice] Your network connection speed appears to have changed. Resetting timeout to 60s after 18 timeouts and 104 buildtimes.}
>>
>> <what is going on with that. I did not change anything and I am not doing or using anything to set  it back. Right with the MB too.}

> On 4 Sep 2016, at 22:17, jensm1 <jensm1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Nice to see your relay is running now! Though I must admit that I have no idea what these "connection speed" notices mean. Probably nothing important, or they'd be warnings.

Your network connections are timing out on a regular basis.
This isn't great for a relay, it means that clients using your relay will be slowed down.

This could be your ISP having poor connectivity, or actively closing long-lived connections.
Or perhaps other traffic on your connection competes with the Tor traffic, and causes it to time out?

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n