Re: [tor-relays] About relay size

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 09:37:00AM +0200, IPonU wrote:
I'm already running a small exit node (100Mbps bandwidth) and I'm ready to spend more money on it, so have a question for you guys :

Thanks for running a relay!

Is it better if I run other small ones (100Mbps too) or only 1 big exit relay (1 Gbps) ? What's best for the network stability/security?

My overall analysis is that one 1Gbps relay is a better contribution to the network than two 100 Mbps relays, assuming other variables are held constant. This choice by a single operator isn't a significant impact on security or stability, but in general we want

 - more operators
 - more AS diversity as share of exit bandwidth
 - more bandwidth
 - more nodes

in approximately that order of importance. You're already nailing it on the first (thanks again!), I think you're not considering to add another AS (your new node would be on the same ISP), so it's mostly just a choice between 200 mbps and 1gbps, and a choice between one descriptor in the consensus or two descriptors.

Also, if we were very short of nodes, then adding more nodes would be a higher priority; but currently we seem to be more short of skilled and motivated operators, rather than node-limited.

-andy