Re: [tor-talk] Wikimedia and Tor

On 2014-10-01 09:57, Derric Atzrott wrote:
About once a year the topic of Tor comes up on Wikimedia's technical mailing
list.  I recently raised the topic again.  For those who aren't aware of the
situation, currently Wikimedia blocks all edits from Tor users.  We are trying
to find a way that it might be possible for us to lift that block, while not
exposing ourselves to the abuse that seems to inevitably come from Tor and
other proxy services.

Hello Derric,

Thanks for joining the list and starting the conversation. Are there data sets or statistics which quantify tor usage at wikimedia? It might help to frame the discussion if we know the scale of the tor usage or the problem we're trying to address.

How does wikimedia handle other proxy and VPN users for logins and edits? Would these solutions work for tor users as well? I imagine the vast majority of tor users are just simply trying to get around Internet censorship of some kind; like that at a national level, public schools, restrictive businesses, or free cafe wifi, etc.

Thanks.

--
Andrew
https://www.torproject.org/