Re: [tor-talk] Tor in the media

On 10/02/2014 01:24 PM, z9wahqvh wrote:
> that's a funny dismissive response, but I think it is a very serious
> question, and that it is taken seriously is reflected in no place more
> strongly than when people on this list suggest that they know Tor is mostly
> used for "good" purposes and that that is (implicitly or explicitly) why
> they use or promote it. It is also suggested by the dismissive accounts on
> the Tor websites about bad users, many of which I find offensive.
>
> Look at the documents in the Ulbricht case. They are some of the clearest
> evidence we have (I mean about what was going on on SR, not what Ulbricht
> himself was doing). They paint a disturbing picture.

Even if (for argument's sake) 99% of Tor users/uses were unqualifiedly
evil, that would say nothing about Tor. At most, it would speak to its
relatively slow uptake overall, and perhaps to the prevalence of evil in
the world. An anonymity system with a backdoor for outing evil (however
defined) would be unworkable, and would soon die.