Re: [tor-talk] isp monitoring tor

On 10/06/2014 04:06 PM, garyr22@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Sure, I understand what you mean. I'm assuming a situation that
> doesn't involve legal issues. This would be illegal surveillance,
> using average resources with your ISP supporting it for some reason.
> I think Tor would be able to handle this type surveillance if used
> correctly.
>
> I would like to know what their procedure would be outside of
> monitoring ExitNodes. How much effort it would be to examine the
> packets and get any useful information.

Tor is vulnerable to two general sorts of attacks. One involves the use
of malicious relays in various ways to deanonymize circuits. The other
involves the use of traffic analysis to correlate traffic captured at
edges of the Tor network (to users and the websites that they access).

With ISPs, there's the risk that some organization can monitor traffic
on both ends. It's common to characterize such organizations as "global
passive adversaries". However, a single ISP (or a firm owning multiple
ISPs) could do that, if it provides service to both users and websites.
Also, users who access websites in their own nation via Tor are
similarly vulnerable to their government.