Re: [tor-talk] orWall 1.0.0 released!

On 08/10/14 16:15, Nathan Freitas wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 03:37 AM, CJ wrote:
>> just a small update regarding orWall: it's released 1.0.0!
>> There's still *one* annoying issue regarding the tethering, but it
>> should be OK next week. Just have to take some time in order to debug
>> this for good.
>>

> I just want to say how gratifying it is to have another person in the
> Tor community really dedicating and dev cycles to mobile. It is great to
> see Orwall get to 1.0.

Well, thank you :). Tor ecosystem deserves support, devs and apps.
Especially on mobile, seeing how it goes.

>> orWall provides now a brand new UI in order to be easier to handle.
>> There's also an integrated help (as a first-start wizard we might call
>> later on).
>
> My main critique right now is that the UI is quite complicated, and has
> way too much text. I know your starting point was to automate the
> instructions from Mike's blog post, and you have achieved that. However,
> if we want to reach my goal (remove all root/transproxy features from
> Orbot), we need to still support the one or two-tap capability that
> Orbot now provides.

I think we should share a bit about that, either live on IRC (find
"tengu" on freenode or geeknode — I'm CET time) or whatever you find
suitable (MLs, direct mails, issues on GH… whatever).
Currently, I think it's kind of hard to provide a simpler interface due
to the fact the user choses which app goes through orbot or not…

Regarding texts: I cannot disagree. But I'm maybe not the best person
for wording, maybe some other people may provide better strings, shorter
words/expressions and so on.
By the way: my mother tongue isn't English, hence I probably make
mistakes, using longer sentences than needed and so on ;).

> Perhaps you could add a default "easy mode" which starts with this, and
> then hide the current UI under an advanced mode?

You're probably thinking about the "torify all" feature I guess? I'm
kind of reluctant to push this into orWall, as, if I understand
correctly, orbot should provide some kind of proxy using vpnservices…
Of course, if this feature isn't doable, I'll see into orwall in order
to provide the button on the "home" page.

Guess we should really discuss all of that. And collaborate closer ;).

Cheers,

C.