Re: SF vs. Seul (was:CVS and other hosting issues)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Lachlan Cox wrote:

I have two projects at Seul and three on Sourceforge, so I would like to
give some clues to those who don't know SEUL.

Seul hosts about 30 free software projects, and when you need something
(CVS usage help, new accounts, software installation, etc.) you talk to
real people, unlike sourceforge, which has no flexibility. The guys at
Seul are not fulltime on it, so you may ask something on their final exam
week and have to wait some days to see it done, but I found it better than
SF's canned project hosting. My bigger projects are on Seul (gPS and
YAWMPPP) and one smaller and two growing children are at Sourceforge
(Blackbook, GGLOW and MIT [Morphological Image Toolbox, not Massachussets
Institute of Technology :)]. The great thing about SF is the easiness of
adding a bunch of developers to the project, that's why I put GGLOW there,
as I think (or hope) someday plenty of people will join it.

My advice is: if you are less than 10 people, stay at Seul.
Sourceforge is only worth if the overhead of account creation @seul is too
much (e.g. too much people entering and leaving the project). Seul does
provide CVS, mailing list, FTP, HTTP, SSH shell to development hosts.

Those who don't know SEUL are invited to http://www.seul.org.

Hope I could be of any help.

> Note: I don't have a clue about seul, I've only used SF, so I was just saying what I thought was good about that.
>
> Lach

who:     Felipe Paulo Guazzi Bergo, undergraduate in Computer Engineering
what: Linux/FreeBSD developer and advocate. Working to ensure our freedom
mail:    bergo@seul.org || bergo@linuxstart.com || guazzibe@ic.unicamp.br
web:                                   http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~guazzibe
where:                           Unicamp - Campinas - SP - Brazil - Earth

* What unites us is more important than what divides us. (esr)