Re: SF vs. Seul (was:CVS and other hosting issues)

Dan hursh wrote:
}     Maybe this is a lame idea, but why don't we put it up to a vote and
} put this to rest?

Not a lame idea at all, IMHO - a good one, in fact :)

I originally said I'd second the move to SourceForge, because I didn't know
what seul was, and had assumed that it was some organisation that Ronen
worked for or something.  Since it turns out that they are in fact a linux
project-hosting group, and XArchon is already there, and they're happy to
set up CVS for us and all, my vote now goes to remaining on seul.

}     Amoung other the other things, does anyone have a clear idea of how to
} implement configurable game behavior?  (i.e. PC style/C64 style/Ronen
} style/Joe User style)  Do we just want canned defaults, files to edit, or
} a runtime options GUI where you can change everything?

As I said in another email, I'm inclined to go for having a rules file as
part of each theme which gives the stats for creatures, and perhaps the
default values for preferences (like tile-constrained vs free movement).

} Also, if we are
} going to and Xarchon2 as a separate mode in the same program, will that
} make these configurable options (speed/damages/etc) more difficult?

Possibly.  Adept would have its own theme, so having different stats for
the creatures would happen for free, but it'll be a bit ugly, having "set
Archon theme" and "set Adept theme" options from the menu.  Alternatively,
perhaps setting the theme is how you choose whether to play Adept or
Archon...

Getting the AI to adapt to these changes might be tricky, too.  Hmm,
actually, on second thoughts, you could have a separate statistics file in
each theme, too, so the AI knows how the creatures perform against each
other for any given set of stats.  That's ok.

							Have fun,
							 Rob R.
							  \((/
							  ~oo~