Re: Variations in creature stats (was Re: intro)

> > I'd probably prefer to have the option between tile-constrained movement or
> > free movement as an option under some sort of "preferences" dialog.
>
> > As for the creature stats, what would people feel about having them
> > specified as part of the theme?
>
>   Not a bad idea.  I personally might want to change pictures w/o changing
> the behavior of the pieces, but this still may be the best way of handling
> it.

Each theme still requires an entry in themes.c, does it not? I'd like to
suggest that we make it possible to add themes without recompiling. Here are a
couple ways I can think of to do it:

* The theme info could be added to the NAMES file (or a similar text file), and
xarchon could search its data directory for subdirectories containing valid
files.

* instead of xarchon doing the search, the user could browse to a theme
directory and select it. (or pass a theme path as an argument)

* the theme could be kept as an archive and temporarily unpacked at runtime. I
don't know how difficult or nonstandard that would be, but it would be more
convenient for the end user.

>   You know, if we go down this path too far, we will have to provide
> per-side themes.  Folks could have tournaments using custom made 'teams'.
> I'll make mine look like Hoskey players!  :)

If you really want to go that far, don't forget to add a third "side" for the
board and the elementals!

-
Mike