I've been away...

Greetings!

I've been unable to work on xarchon for a while. See below for the full story.

I had a look at the cvs repository, and it has Ronen's last version (0.50) but not Rob's changes or my changes. I'd like to see them added. I'm willing add them myself, but I have some questions about how it should be done. Should we use release tags to identify each change? Should some changes be added to a branch? Galen, are you in charge of that?

I wanted to check the list archives about the version numbering
system we came up with, but I couldn't find a link to the archives,
either at xarchon.seul.org, or at www.seul.org. I finally found a copy of the relevant email at home: the archives are at http://www.seul.org/archives/xarchon/xarchon-l/. I think we ought to have a link from the xarchon page.

That's it for the xarchon-related stuff. Skip the rest if you like.

Now I'd like to tell you what I've been up to since October...

Last time I wrote, I was working at a lame dot com by the name of
gvox. The pay was plenty for me and I had 3 computers, but I got
bored a lot and sometimes there was just nothing to do. It was a
perfect situation for working on my own projects. I installed
LinuxPPC on one of my computers and started working on XArchon.

Eventually the idiots who were giving their cash away to this scam
operation started asking questions like "um, so, how do you plan to
make money again?" The wily management came up with a brilliant
scheme - lay off all the creative people and charge money for the
mess they're currently giving away.

I was dropped in the first round of layoffs, on the first day of my
vacation in December. I didn't hear about it until I got email from
my office-mate a week into my vacation. I still haven't received all
of my severance pay from them.

Since then, my life has improved incredibly. I now have a job that is
lots more fun, and more free time too. Although I can't really blow
off work anymore, some generous and nerdy friends have freely given
me enough computer equipment to work on XArchon from home.

My new boss actually has a clue about Unix, and I've learned a lot of
relevant things working here. He's asked me to set up a CVS
repository for our work, and I'm finally getting an idea of how CVS
works.

As they say, a little learning is a dangerous thing, but I'm getting
ready to take the risk and start making changes to the xarchon code.

Thanks everybody.

- Mike

--

UNSOUND PRODUCTIONS