Re: language support

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:11:50PM -0500, Ronen Tzur wrote:

> Sure.   The gettext library is a GNU package for message translation.  The
> info page says these are the tasks it handles:
>
>    * locate the external data file with the appropriate translations.
>    * load the data and make it possible to address the messages
>    * map a given key to the translated message

> There is no direct support for parameteric strings like %c and %o that you
> described in your initial post, however gettext does support %s and %d.  Thus
> it seems the same result can be achieved indirectly:  first translating the
> string for %o, and then passing it as a parameter for the output string,
> containing a %s at the proper position.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a good option. It wasn't how I
imagined solving the problem, but I think it could work.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

- Mikee
--
I'm a very poor reader - I've only learnt to read at all in the last
five years so I find it a real struggle reading newspapers.

 - Pete Waterman, co-author (with Mike Stock and Matt Aitken) of "You
Spin Me Right Round" and 140 other UK hits.