Re: language support

Hi Dan,

The related info pages for glibc mention that the "catgets" family of
functions are defined by an X/Open standard, and that is the only standard
for translation.  GNU gettext is not standard-compliant, but it is compatible
with Sun's gettext (which isn't standard-compliant either).  You could say
both are a de-facto standard, which is good enough.

Maybe my info pages are out-of-date, so take this with a grain of salt.

About standards, that's something you put in paper for all to see and
implement, rather than something you code -- thus licenses are irrelevant.
Consider XFree for example:  an implementation of The Open Group's X11
standard, and licensed under the MIT license.

Ronen