[Computerbank] Scribus - new desktop publishing tool

http://scribus.planetmirror.com/

After a recommendation from DSL, I have been playing with Scribus, a desktop
pubblishing tool. I agree wholehertedly with his recommendation. Excellent -
I have been using it to design certificates for donors. Exports to PDF
brilliantly. Even available via apt for us debheads.

From the site:
"Scribus is a Layout program for GNU/Linux®, similar to Adobe® PageMaker™,
QuarkXPress™ or Adobe® InDesign™, except that it is published under the GNU
GPL.
Currently, it is still in its early stages of development, but rapidly
maturing and very useable. Already, it has the ability to layout newsletters,
create corporate stationery, small posters and other documents which need
flexible layout and/or the ability to output to professional quality
imagesetting equipment. You can do all the typical tasks like placing and
rotating text and/or images on a page, specify manual kerning of type and
much more.
While the goals of the program are for ease of use and simple easy to
understand tools, Scribus offers support for professional publishing
features, such as CMYK color, easy PDF creation, Encapsulated Postscript
import/export and creation of color separations.
Graphic formats which can be placed include Ecapsulated Post Script (eps),
Joint Photographic Experts Group (jpeg), Portable Network Graphics (png) and
XPixMap(xpm)"

Linux is really progressing in leaps and bounds with such things!

r:)
Romana Challans
Computerbank Australia Incorporated - SA Branch
http://sa.computerbank.org.au/