Re: [Computerbank] Re: [cai-vic] What happened at the AGM?

Sorry if

a) this reply seems rather belated
b) I have misunderstood
c) what I say has been duplicated
d) it seems targetted at an individual (it's not - I just don't know enough about the organisation to take any other starting point than this letter)

but, I don't see that apathy in taking part in an AGM corresponds with a total apathy towards constitutional processes.

I for one did not attend because I am not a financial member. I am not a financial member because I have not been involved in the organisation for long enough to have chosen to become one, and could not have done so after the anouncement of the AGM had I desired to do so.

That said, I have become quite concerned at what seems to have completely taken over these mailing lists. Reading them in reverse chronological order, I believed for a long time that people were washing dirty laundry in public, so to speak, airing their personal gripes. I nearly flushed the entire glut of messages that built up over the last few days that I have not checked my email.

I am glad I didn't - and quite alarmed that I nearly missed this.

Whether what happened technically IS unconstutional, it should be addressed in a formal manner, because the constitution needs some improvement so it won't happen again. Questions need to be asked why this could occur and NOT break some parameter of the AGM or the constiution.

Romana - on the one hand you are saying you are the contact-point for these types of grievences and therefore would know if there were objections to the process you employed in determining the new executive.

On the other hand you admit to being a party to these live back-room dealings carried on at election-time.

Excuse me, but WTF?!?!?!!!

Gee, I had been wondering whether computerbank was really a such a welcoming and organised place as my first impression .. whether the Victorian branch might move out to 'the sticks' .. whether there really is room for new people to come onboard in a productive way...

You really need to understand that when volunteers are all you can rely on for getting things done, you can't afford to be too bound up in yourself. You have to make even greater effort to court potential volunteers and supporters than a corporation, not less!

When you rely on the benevolence of corporate donors and government funding, you better make damn sure that you do not give those people a bad image by association, or they will drop you like nothing else.

As someone hoping to find employment with probably these same people, I am not about to become involved with computerbank if it is not beyond reproach. If you want to have a diverse range of volunteers, you better think about this. If all you want is minions of peons who do not think for themselves, fine go on acting like your members and potential members are naiive.

Good luck. But if you do, then the only people who will work with you will be the naiive, and those who see you as naiive and exploit you.

Simeon