Re: [Computerbank] Debian PGI Installer

----- Original Message -----
> Daniel,
>
> > I don't see why a GUI is necessary.
>
> No, you don't.
-- Neither do I, especially considering that many of the video cards don't
work right in vesa mode, they might not fail, but they don't work.

> > Remember, point-and-click doesn't make something easy to use.
>
> No, it doesn't.
>
> > Sometimes it's just easier to use the arrow keys. Good UI design makes
> > stuff easy to use, not a cutesy little pointer. Can you name a current
> > BIOS which has a GUI? Not really; they all have tried and tested, good
> > UI design. Which doesn't involve a mouse.
-- IIRC IBM still have a GUI BIOS, HOWEVER their's is simple and time
proven.

> I stuffed up in my original post. I meant to say:
>
>  * creating a graphical and text interface...
>
> You don't *have to* use the GUI.
-- But does it force you if X appears to start succsessfully?

> > If you have any problems with the installer, why has no-one heard
> > about them until now?
>
> Now that's an amusing assumption.
-- I'll phrase that "Why have WE not heard in Melbourne where it's
developed?" we're only an e-mail or IRC msg away.

> > I think Desktop Penguin is the best build for
> > Computerbank. While it may not be suitable for Microbits, Computerbank
> > builds a great deal of machines with a huge amount of repetition and
> > very, very little variance, which means something like DP is perfectly
> > suited to the task.
>
> Maybe so.
>
> However, one can build PGI in a number of ways. For example:
>
>  * ask trillions of options
>      - if you that's what you need
>  * got hundreds of machines, all same spec?
>      - build a no frills, stick in CD (or do over network) install no
>        questions asked
-- By the time you get a gui over the net using floppies you've already
answered most of the questions of the installer

>   * install the trillions of options version ONCE and then use
>     Ghost4Unix to ghost it to other machines
For identical computers that you don't mind having the same ssh key...
DP IS basically an image of the partition, however with
/installer/thirdstage it is able to config the box properly (including X)